[asterisk-users] Queues: Knowing when a caller is position 1 (agent phone ringing)

Timothy Smith timotsmith at gmail.com
Sat Aug 3 12:45:19 CDT 2013

Hello Folks,

I am setting up a call center but we have few agents so one agent is
able to handle calls of different languages and different queues. For
the agent to identify the caller, I want a popup to appear as the
phone starts to ring with the caller's number, language (selected in
the IVR), Queue (sales, support etc) and any other information (e.g a
URL with parameters)

I can send this information either via netcat (to a client such as
yac) to a Windows PC but the problem is I do not know when the caller
is about to be connected to the agent, so that I run the command. If I
wasn't using queues, it would be easy because  I would run the netcat
command and then dial the user's extension.

My Question is: Is there a way I can know when the caller is just
about to be connected to an agent (when the agent's SIP extension
starts ringing)?

There are these settings setinterfacevar, setqueueentryvar,
setqueuevar in queues.conf but when can I use them?

Have you guys been in this situation before? Any alternative solutions
(sending caller info to an agent)?

I am using Asterisk 11 and Windows 7 PCs for agents.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Wilson