[asterisk-users] asterisk music on hold recommendations

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Apr 23 08:12:32 CDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 02:30:24PM +0200, Frederic Van Espen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm wondering what the recommendations are for using music on hold
> on asterisk. As far as I understood from various pages on the web
> and a response from the IRC channel, I am to avoid using mp3 files
> because of licensing and transcoding issues. correct?

Short version: Not really. But just use the built in

The earliest moh support Asterisk had was playing of MP3 files (or
piping the output of an external command). Only later on "native" MoH
was developed - playing any file Asterisk could play.

At the time Digium licensed a set of mp3 files from FreePlay Music that
could be freely used as MoH files with Asterisk.

Later on a certain more subtle licensing issue came up and Digium chose
to stop distributing those MoH files with Asterisk. They were replaced
with a set of five files which are:

* Longer
* Better licensed (CC-BY-SA 3.0)
* Available in all the required formats

So the licensing issues in question are:

* MP3 is patent-encumbered and some Linux distribution keep out even MP3
  playing code (other only remove MP3 encoding code).
* If you don't intend to play it to a MP3 channel, why waste CPU
  resources on transcoding it? The newer files are available in more
  convinient formats. IIRC the license of the FPM ones prevented Digium
  from distributing modified copies.

> I am currently using asterisk 1.8 with the mpg123 processes
> (mode=mp3 or mode=quietmp3 in the conf file).

If you use that mode, you're probably doing something wrong following an
ancient guide.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com