[asterisk-users] ConfBridge dtmf_passthrough=no doesn't have any effect. Bug?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Fri Sep 28 06:42:59 CDT 2012

On 28/09/12 07:36 AM, Markus wrote:
> Am 28.09.2012 13:24, schrieb Leif Madsen:
>> Is another channel connected to the conference receiving the DTMF? Is
>> that what you're intending? Because from my understand that is the
>> intention, and not simply to limit the DTMF from being in the conference
>> in the first place. At least that is almost how it reads in your message.
>
> All I'm trying to achieve is that the rest of the conference doesn't
> hear the "beep"'s when a user presses a key. Users press keys to adjust
> the volume of the conference, for example. And these key presses get
> transmitted to all the other users in the conference, which can become
> quite annoying when there is a larger amount of users.
>
> Are you refering to my previous mails about adjusting volume of
> background music/speech in the conference? This is unrelated - in my
> test scenario I just set up a simple ConfBridge with no features at all,
> then dialed in via PSTN (arrives as SIP) from two different phones, and
> on each phone I can hear the key presses of the other party.
>
> OH! I just tested with a SIP softphone (X-Lite), and DTMF does not get
> passed to the other users! In X-Lite I can hear the DTMF keypresses of
> the users connected via PSTN (incoming via SIP), but when I hit a key in
> X-Lite I can't hear that on the PSTN phones. Hmmm ...

I am not referring to your previous posts, but your test and results
seem to indicate what I had somewhat thought.

When you're using X-Lite, you're likely using RFC2833 for the DTMF
method, which is out of band, and gets absorbed by Asterisk by it not
playing the DTMF into the conference. This is how it should work (and
likely does for most scenarios/phones).

It sounds like maybe either a configuration or implementation issue on
the carrier side though. Are you using inband DTMF there? Asterisk
should really be absorbing that too, but sometimes it can't get it all.
If you switch to an out of band method like info or rfc2833, does that help?

Do you hear the DTMF on a normal call outside of ConfBridge() with the
same carrier?

I suspect this isn't a ConfBridge() problem, but a general DTMF one.
Nice idea on the dtmf_passthrough setting, but it's not really the
solution to your problem here.

--
Leif Madsen
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/asterisk