[asterisk-users] T.38 gateway ATA

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Mon Sep 24 20:18:53 CDT 2012

Hoping for some clarification.  I would like to setup a NORMAL (not
T.38) fax machine on an ATA, and have the ATA be a T.38 gateway to a
remote asterisk (1.8) server, which is doing T.38 relay (passthru) to a
provider.

Some amount of googling today seems to imply that most ATAs are just
T.38 passthru devices, and expect a T.38 capable fax machine, otherwise
just fallback to ulaw (and mostly fail, in my experience so far).

So does anyone use an ATA that actually does the gateway transcoding to
a normal fax machine?  Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks!