[asterisk-users] USB FXS device

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at sunfone.com
Wed Oct 31 14:26:41 CDT 2012

On 10/31/2012 02:00 PM, jon pounder wrote:
> On 10/31/2012 02:49 PM, Jeff LaCoursiere wrote:
>>> Xorcom's Astribanks have native support in DAHDI
>>> http://www.xorcom.com/telephony-interfaces/astribank-usb-channel-banks.html
>>>

>> Yes, but that goes against the "spending a gazillion dollars"
>> requirement, and though I didn't specify my needs, I am just looking
>> for a single FXS port.
>>
>> Basically I would like to build an ATA out of a Raspberry Pi :)
>> Ideally for < $100.
>
> why punish yourself like that ?
> pap2t is 2xFXS hanging off a network jack for $50
>
> Half your budget, twice the density, and a nice box too

Doesn't support OpenVPN...

Our architecture (hosted PBX offering) works entirely over OpenVPN - the
phones we provide do it natively (Yealink).  Haven't been able to find
an ATA that will.  So our customers that have analog devices today need
an ATA that can reach their hosted PBX.  Today we front a PAP2T
(actually the Cisco equiv now that the Linksys line is EOL) with a
DD-WRT box whose only function is to provide OpenVPN access to their
hosted PBX.

Now I have this awesome little box - the Raspberry Pi - that can run
asterisk natively for $35 (well closer to $50 with the needed parts).
Obviously it can also run OpenVPN.  Gives me all kinds of possibilities
for tracking link quality.  If I could find a USB FXS dongle that would
work as an asterisk channel (much like Xorcom devices are supported by
dahdi), I would be all set.  I wouldn't expect such a device to cost
much more than $30 - $50, which gets me what I need for < $100, which is
currently what I spend on the DD-WRT/Cisco combo.

The basic question was "has anyone made a USB FXS device work with
asterisk".  Now that I have additionally defended my architecture
decisions, can anyone actually answer the question?

Thanks,