[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11 and stdexten written in AEL invoked by pbx_config

Octavio Ruiz tacvbo at tacvbo.net
Wed Oct 31 12:44:59 CDT 2012

Almost two years ago, a change between how AEL code is built into
Asterisk dialplan between minor versions made clear the need to
provide a sane entry point into AEL subroutines and that's how
AELSub() born.

With Asterisk 11 release, they way [stdexten] at extensions.conf is
invoked changed from Macro to Gosub using the 'missing context
feature' and this caused that any stdexten written in anything else
but extensions.conf (AEL, LUA, etc, being these not able to define an
arbitrary priority) will not work.

The only way to workaround this is to fallback to Macro() and write
macro-contexts in AEL with the stack limit implications of them so I'm
proposing to add to asterisk.conf configuration the ability to invoke
stdexten using  AELSub() so stdexten can be again be written in AEL
mantaining real backward compatiblity as it did the fact that you are
able to fallback to Macro.

;stdexten = gosub ; How to invoke the extensions.conf stdexten.
; macro  - Invoke the stdexten using a macro as
;          done by legacy Asterisk versions.
; aelsub - Invoke the stdexten sutbroutine using AELSub
;          when stdexten is defined in AEL.
; gosub  - Invoke the stdexten using a gosub as
;          documented in extensions.conf.sample.

I've already started this conversation on the development lists, you
can follow up it at:

http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-dev/2012-August/056666.html

and there is a working patch submited to JIRA here:

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-20355

I would like to read your comments.

Best,