[asterisk-users] Motif XMPP

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Oct 10 14:48:46 CDT 2012

Robert wrote:
> My apologiesŠ I will clarify the situation.
>
> We set up Motif per Digium's new WIKI on Google Voice for Asterisk 11.
> It completed dialing / ring and answer BUT NO AUDIO.. No errors on the
> console.

I've experienced this once or twice and narrowed it down to the Google
Voice server. It would just refuse to send the information about where
to send media. Call again and it would work fine. I compared the traffic
and saw no difference. The Google Voice platform is very ...
interesting. I've even had this happen using the Google Talk plug-in.

> We upgrade to SVN pull of Asterisk 11 and now Motif gives new errors (ICE).

The Google Talk and Google Voice support doesn't use ICE like proper
Jingle support. Google has their own and we have basic support for it. I
would be very interested in seeing this error message.

> I gave up as there is little corresponding documentation on MOTIF.

There is a completely documented configuration file which includes every
option (motif.conf.sample), and the wiki page does normally work for
people. As this is a new channel driver and not in widespread use I'm
unsurprised there is little additional documentation.

> We rolled back to Asterisk 10 and got it to work within minutes using old
> GTALK/Jabber methodology.

Is it working reliably? The signaling between both should be the same so
it would be very weird if it also did not have the same issue. Of course
you would be hitting different servers in the Google network.

> I know the rules about cross-post and before casting stones - I've been
> around Asterisk and other platforms for a long time.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Colp