[asterisk-users] Asterisk 11.0.0-rc1 Now Available!

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:20:26 CDT 2012

On 10/08/2012 05:15 PM, Asterisk Development Team wrote:
> The Asterisk Development Team is pleased to announce the first release candidate
> of Asterisk 11.0.0.  This release is available for immediate download at
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/telephony/asterisk/releases
>
> All interested users of Asterisk are encouraged to participate in the
> Asterisk 11 testing process.  Please report any issues found to the issue
> tracker, https://issues.asterisk.org/jira.  It is also very useful to see
> successful test reports.  Please post those to the asterisk-dev mailing list.
> All Asterisk users are invited to participate in the #asterisk-testing channel
> on IRC to work together in testing the many parts of Asterisk.
>
> Asterisk 11 is the next major release series of Asterisk.  It will be a Long
> Term Support (LTS) release, similar to Asterisk 1.8.  For more information about
> support time lines for Asterisk releases, see the Asterisk versions page:
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions
>
> For important information regarding upgrading to Asterisk 11, please see the
> Asterisk wiki:
>
> https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Upgrading+to+Asterisk+11
>
> A short list of new features includes:
>
> * A new channel driver named chan_motif has been added which provides support
>    for Google Talk and Jingle in a single channel driver.  This new channel
>    driver includes support for both audio and video, RFC2833 DTMF, all codecs
>    supported by Asterisk, hold, unhold, and ringing notification. It is also
>    compliant with the current Jingle specification, current Google Jingle
>    specification, and the original Google Talk protocol.
>
> * Support for the WebSocket transport for chan_sip.
>
> * SIP peers can now be configured to support negotiation of ICE candidates.
>
> * The app_page application now no longer depends on DAHDI or app_meetme. It
>    has been re-architected to use app_confbridge internally.
>
> * Hangup handlers can be attached to channels using the CHANNEL() function.
>    Hangup handlers will run when the channel is hung up similar to the h
>    extension; however, unlike an h extension, a hangup handler is associated with
>    the actual channel and will execute anytime that channel is hung up,
>    regardless of where it is in the dialplan.
>
> * Added pre-dial handlers for the Dial and Follow-Me applications.  Pre-dial
>    allows you to execute a dialplan subroutine on a channel before a call is
>    placed but after the application performing a dial action is invoked. This
>    means that the handlers are executed after the creation of the callee
>    channels, but before any actions have been taken to actually dial the callee
>    channels.
>
> * Log messages can now be easily associated with a certain call by looking at
>    a new unique identifier, "Call Id".  Call ids are attached to log messages for
>    just about any case where it can be determined that the message is related
>    to a particular call.

> [...]

Thanks for all the great work.

We've started using the silk codec a lot for phone app voip. We've found
it the most effective low bit rate (16K) codec. Could we get a release
11 version of the silk codec in
http://downloads.digium.com/pub/telephony/codec_silk/  ?

That way we could start messing with RC 1.

sean