[asterisk-users] OT - Why are alarm transmitter said to be avoided with DSL ?

Olivier oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr
Thu Oct 4 11:12:45 CDT 2012

Hi,

1. I've got this question bouncing in my mind for a long time:  why are
alarm transmitters often said to be avoided with DSL lines ?
The kind of alarm transmitters I'm thinking about are those having two
analog ports: one connected to Telco analog line, the other to a fax or a
terminal or whatever.

The typical setup is:

Telco line ---- ADSL splitter ----- Alarm Transmitter ----- Fax machine

                           ADSL Modem ----- LAN

For me, this setup MUST work as I'm not aware of any Alarm Transmitter
using the higher frequencies used by modems.
Is this correct ? Opinions ?

2. Another question, from a location I've got trouble with, is:
what may happen if an alarm transmitter is incorrectly installed before the
ADSL splitter like this ?

Telco line ----- Alarm Transmitter ---- ADSL splitter  ----- Fax machine

                                                                 ADSL Modem
----- LAN

Would it explain why ADSL traffic is momentarily cut when a fax is
received, for instance ?

Regards