[asterisk-users] Case-sensitivity of Dialplan variables.

Raj Mathur ( राज माथुर ) raju at linux-delhi.org
Wed Oct 3 10:49:30 CDT 2012

On Tuesday 02 Oct 2012, Mark Michelson wrote:
>[snip]
> Some of you might be eager to propose a configuration option to
> decide which it should be. I'm sick of having hundreds of options
> in Asterisk to slightly tweak the behavior one way or another. This
> needs to go one way or the other, not be configurable.

All dialplans that I've written so far will work fine in a case-
sensitive environment.  However, I appreciate that there will be legacy
dialplans around that are, for one reason or another, case-inconsistent.
To expect them all to switch to the new way of doing things immediately
is impractical and unfair.

So here's the proposal: make case-insensitivity a configuration option
for one or two releases.  Document the option (both externally and in
the configuration file) with large warnings about how switching it on is
DEPRECATED and how it will VANISH IN A FUTURE RELEASE.

That will suit the people who do not wish to conform (they will not
upgrade), the people who want to conform but need time (will have a few
months to fix and test while still being able to use the latest Asterisk
features) and the people who are already conformant (don't need to do
anything).

In short, my vote goes for case-sensitivity with a grace period for
switching over.

Regards,

-- Raj
--