[asterisk-users] SIP, Polycom, Asterisk - VPN

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed Oct 3 10:39:31 CDT 2012

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:22 AM, eherr <email.eherr9633 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to configure the following scenario but have failed.****
>
> ** **
>
> Currently, I have an Asterisk box sitting on a Static Public IP address in
> my office.****
>
> ** **
>
> I have a remote office with 3 Polycom IP335s that are registering back to
> my local office’s publically address Asterisk box.****
>
> ** **
>
> The remote office Polycom phones are getting IP information from an RV042
> and using the local ISP for internet access.****
>
> ** **
>
> I want to set up a VPN on the remote side.****
>
> ** **
>
> Has anyone done this? Does it make sense to do this?****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> --E****

Setup OpenVPN between the two sites.  A small solid state appliance can
handle this easily.  Don't worry about IAX2 as was suggested, SIP is just
fine.

I have used the WRT54G wireless router with one of the Linux firmwares.  I
have even run Asterisk on these little gems.

Some SNOM phones have a Linux/OpenVPN firmware and you can actually bridge
the WAN/LAN ports and use the phone as a gateway.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro