[asterisk-users] SIP, Polycom, Asterisk - VPN

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Wed Oct 3 10:27:31 CDT 2012

Danny Nicholas wrote:
> IAX uses one port; SIP uses 2-4 per call. We use Polycom 550’s to talk
> to an Asterisk 10.X box. Nothing special on the Asterisk side; just have
> to get your VPN to talk to the Asterisk network.

To be slightly pedantic SIP UDP generally uses a single port (5060). RTP
generally uses two ports (one for RTP and one for RTCP). If you have
multiple media streams (one audio and one video) those are two RTP
sessions, so a total of 4 ports. If you have only an audio stream then
that is a total of 2 ports.

--
Joshua Colp