[asterisk-users] Meetme on short network

Joshua Colp jcolp at digium.com
Mon Nov 26 06:26:30 CST 2012

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am running asterisk 1.4.43 on a really small network for testing, all
> on same switch.
> I launch a meetme between my server and 5 asterisk clients that
> are all on 10 foot network cables all connected to the same switch.
> The meetme is fine everything is in sync....
> Then I reboot one of the clients. When it reboots I automatcially
> bring it back into the conference. however now its not really
> "in sync".

By not "in sync" do you mean that there is a delay between when the
speaker speaks and when the client hears it?

> I'm trying to understand why that might be??? I thought it would.
> The conference is a listen only conference. Its not "off" or out of sync
> by much - but it is noticable.

There's always going to be some amount of delay. It takes time to encode
the audio, send it, mix it (in this case), receive it, decode it, and
have it pass through a jitterbuffer (which by definition of being a
buffer introduces delay).

How much of a delay are you hearing?

Cheers,

--