[asterisk-users] Managing complex setups with Asterisk

Raj Mathur ( राज माथुर ) raju at linux-delhi.org
Fri Nov 16 20:21:52 CST 2012

On Friday 16 Nov 2012, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <raju at linux-delhi.org>
[2012.11.16.1005 +0100]:
> > Warning: Not a fan of using whitespace as semantic markup, so no
> > Django this side.  Fine with Perl or Java, though.
>
> As long as we can agree on using a database (i.e. no MySQL) or the
> filesystem (Git…), then the question of which language to use for
> a frontend is secondary. I wouldn't chose Java myself, but I suspect
> that the job is enough "text processing" that Perl would actually be
> a sensible choice — except I won't help since I don't know it well.
>
> But shouldn't the first step be a mixture of database design and
> requirement specification?
>
> I would like a solution that keeps users, sites, and numbers
> (belonging to trunks (hardware, as well as SIP)) separate and then
> basically allows for free combinations.
>
> User A might have a desk at site I, to which a range of numbers is
> assigned, and in addition to an internal number (e.g. a one digit
> site prefix followed by a two digit number, or a site-independent
> number assigned per person), one of those externals rings at A's
> desk.
>
> User B might roam between sites I and II and either should have the
> same internal/external numbers ringing at both desks, or require
> some sort of login to let the system know where to ring.
>
> User C might have a desk with a phone at site II, but is out most of
> the time, and calls should also ring on his/her cell.
>
> User D has a smart phone and wants both his desk and the smart phone
> to ring.
>
> All users want voicemail and be able to configure the time until
> voicemail answers.
>
> During vacation etc., a forwarding number should be configurable.
>
> Some users might want their voicemail to say e.g. "press 1 now to be
> transferred to my cell".
>
> We would also want to be able to specify per-user whether to use
> UDP, TCP or IAX, who can transfer and park calls, who can record
> them with mix monitor, who can create ad-hoc conferences, their
> language, who has a video telephone…
>
> … and of course there ought to be a way to set user-specific
> sip.conf settings.
>
> On top, it would be nice if there were some sort of group
> inheritance. This sounds a bit like LDAP, except LDAP can't actually
> do it. What I mean is that I'd really like to define a group of e.g.
> managers who all have internal numbers beginning with 11 and
> secretaries who can create conferences, and then associate users
> with (multiple) groups, inheriting and merging the settings.
>
> These are — I think — my base requirements. What would you add?

I'll talk to clients and get a feature list from them too.  Then we can
filter into initial, advanced and nice to have categories.

Unless enough other people are interested (yes, asking on Saturday
morning is a good way of ensuring no one answers :) , we ought to take
this to private mail.

Regards,

-- Raj
--