[asterisk-users] Managing complex setups with Asterisk

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Fri Nov 16 05:28:02 CST 2012

also sprach Raj Mathur (राज माथुर) <raju at linux-delhi.org> [2012.11.16.1005 +0100]:
> Warning: Not a fan of using whitespace as semantic markup, so no Django
> this side.  Fine with Perl or Java, though.

As long as we can agree on using a database (i.e. no MySQL) or the
filesystem (Git…), then the question of which language to use for
a frontend is secondary. I wouldn't chose Java myself, but I suspect
that the job is enough "text processing" that Perl would actually be
a sensible choice — except I won't help since I don't know it well.

But shouldn't the first step be a mixture of database design and
requirement specification?

I would like a solution that keeps users, sites, and numbers
(belonging to trunks (hardware, as well as SIP)) separate and then
basically allows for free combinations.

User A might have a desk at site I, to which a range of numbers is
assigned, and in addition to an internal number (e.g. a one digit
site prefix followed by a two digit number, or a site-independent
number assigned per person), one of those externals rings at A's
desk.

User B might roam between sites I and II and either should have the
same internal/external numbers ringing at both desks, or require
some sort of login to let the system know where to ring.

User C might have a desk with a phone at site II, but is out most of
the time, and calls should also ring on his/her cell.

User D has a smart phone and wants both his desk and the smart phone
to ring.

All users want voicemail and be able to configure the time until
voicemail answers.

During vacation etc., a forwarding number should be configurable.

Some users might want their voicemail to say e.g. "press 1 now to be
transferred to my cell".

We would also want to be able to specify per-user whether to use
UDP, TCP or IAX, who can transfer and park calls, who can record
them with mix monitor, who can create ad-hoc conferences, their
language, who has a video telephone…

… and of course there ought to be a way to set user-specific
sip.conf settings.

On top, it would be nice if there were some sort of group
inheritance. This sounds a bit like LDAP, except LDAP can't actually
do it. What I mean is that I'd really like to define a group of e.g.
managers who all have internal numbers beginning with 11 and
secretaries who can create conferences, and then associate users
with (multiple) groups, inheriting and merging the settings.

These are — I think — my base requirements. What would you add?

quick!! act as if nothing has happened!

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net