[asterisk-users] "Simple" failover configuration

jon pounder jonp at inline.net
Thu Nov 15 09:32:01 CST 2012

On 11/15/2012 10:27 AM, Eric Wieling wrote:

What I have found most difficult in any failover situation is having
everything decide at the same time something has failed.
(this applies to anything not just asterisk)
For example how does the polycom react if it can make the sip
connection, but no outbound routes are available on the primary server
for some reason ? Is your setup smart enough to actually shut down
asterisk completely if its upstream network interface or route is dead
to prevent local connections ?

what if both servers are in that situation ? would they both shut down,
neither ? what would you want to happen in that case ?

They are not trivial questions to answer and the answers depend on your
setup, there is no univeral right way of handling it.