[asterisk-users] 3G Quality

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Wed Nov 14 18:32:40 CST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Roy Abshire <roy at coopvr.com> wrote:

>  Believe me, there is a method to my madness that I didn't want to get
> into but here it goes.

Quite often, telling people the core problem can lead to better solutions.
 I assumed you wanted mobile, but fixed cellular could work for this.

> I want to get this to work reliably even with low quality and bandwidth so
> I can install VOIP Phones at my vacation rental properties that can only
> get 4G or low speed Satellite with only 128k upload.

128 upload is no problem, but latency on geosynchronous satellite is
horrible.  Pretty much not usable for voice.  LEO satellites like Iridium
and Inmarsat work, but are VERY expensive.

Have you checked out the new Dish network satellite internet service?  I
haven't used it, but the specs look great and the price is cheap.

> I went up and stayed at one of the properties and bought my ATT 4G Elevate
> device just to test it out over VOIP at the cabin and I got 2 bars and my
> Nokia connected and registered over SIP...but calling was garbled.

What you need is an external antenna, possibly a directional one if you
know the general direction of the cell tower.  Wilson makes some great
amplifiers and antenna systems.  I use a Wilson amp on my boat with a tall
omni marine antenna, and it lets me make calls over VoIP where there would
otherwise be no signal (they are choppy but usable).

There is some controversy on the "best" CODEC, but my experience is that
g.729 is best on low-quality connections.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve