[asterisk-users] 3G Quality

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Wed Nov 14 16:32:06 CST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Roy Abshire <roy at coopvr.com> wrote:

>  Ok, what about 4G, I tried it with my 4G AT&T Hotspot too.  I get 4 full
> signal and the call goes through but keeps cutting out or dropping.
>
> I'm using the AT&T Elevate with a Nokia N97.  SIP connects fine, I can
> make and receive calls and when I check the console it connects using ilbc
> but we have a hard time hearing each other clear and it drops unexpectedly
> without hanging up the other side.

I wouldn't expect any cellular connection to pass VoIP reliably.  Think
about it.  The phone call is on the same airwaves but is prioritized.  The
data gets the lowest priority.  Again, all my testing has left me using
only g.729 when I really need to do VoIP over cellular, but it's never been
perfect.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve