[asterisk-users] Managing complex setups with Asterisk

Hans Witvliet asterisk at a-domani.nl
Thu Nov 8 10:12:32 CST 2012

On Thu, 2012-11-08 at 10:07 +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Jeff LaCoursiere <jeff at sunfone.com> [2012.11.07.2049 +0100]:
> > Just to chime in, if you REALLY want multi-tenant, it is super
> > easy and surprisingly efficient to use kernel level virtualization
> > to run multiple instances of asterisk (and even FreePBX).  We use
> > LXC to do this.  The "host" runs an instance that has the dahdi
> > hardware, drivers, and upstream connections.  The "clients" have
> > SIP connections to the host for all inbound/outbound
>
> Yes, separation into logical units is one way forward, but then you
> will necessarily have redundant configuration between the instances.
> It's nice to have clear separations (unless you cannot clearly
> separate), but I am not convinced that this decreases complexity.

Actually, i would suggest breaking it up and store most of your data
into mysql (realtime).

By breaking up, you can separate distinctive parts, like pstn-gateways,
GSM-gateways, internal-proxies, external-proxies, voice-mail,
conference-server, etc etc.
If you store the user-specific data into a database, it doesn't matter
on which proxy you register, the configuration is shared them all.
Same for your dialplan.

If you use LXC, the overhead will be less compared with using XEN.
And if you keep each asterisk-container stupid, it is easier to
maintain/replace.

hw