[asterisk-users] Managing complex setups with Asterisk

martin f krafft madduck at madduck.net
Thu Nov 8 00:41:45 CST 2012

also sprach Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> [2012.11.07.2340 +0100]:
> What is your point of pain? Right now we do most of the
> configuration, provisioning, and system management outside of
> asterisk.

My systems are already managed automatically, thankfully no longer
with Puppet. ;)

I am only talking about configuration of Asterisk, whether in
/etc/asterisk or some sensible external data source. My point of
pain is the complexity due to a couple of special cases, e.g.

  - Roaming users, i.e. no 1:n relation between sites and users;
  - Multiple devices per user (some want them all to ring, some want
    individual extensions but shared voicemail, …)
  - Keeping track of the mappings between incoming calls (from SIP
    providers) and extensions to ring (using incoming contexts and
    extension groups for that)
  - Keeping track of which extension uses which outgoing trunk
  - …

With a logical naming scheme, a policy and include files, this is
all working. But it's very error-prone and there is a bit of
redundancy in the information, so I was wondering if there wasn't
a better way.

> Either way, don't manually build your 6th machine.  Start from
> fresh using some sort of automated tool (chef / puppet).  This
> will help you get on the right path.

The new machine for the 6th site is up and running (provisioning
(not image-based) took less than half an hour). What now? ;)

"science without religion is lame,
 religion without science is blind."
                                                    -- albert einstein

spamtraps: madduck.bogus at madduck.net