[asterisk-users] Fax Configuration

Vladimir Mikhelson vlad at mikhelson.com
Mon Nov 5 21:43:26 CST 2012

Roy,

Many will say that it all depends on your provider supporting T.38, and
that you should forget it otherwise.

My practical experience shows otherwise.  I am able to receive faxes on
SIP lines pretty reliably with no T.38 support.  The biggest issue for
me is CED tones detection.  If CED is detected then fax reception goes
on with no problems.  I use this setup with both Asterisk receiving a
fax and then e-mailing it to me as a PDF attachment and with a call
being forwarded to a fax machine extension which in turn is connected to
a Motorola ATA over another SIP connection.

I use FreePBX to set all that up as they provide pretty easy fax setup.

-Vladimir