[asterisk-users] Least Machine Specs to run a production asterisk server

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri May 11 12:18:23 CDT 2012

On Fri, 11 May 2012, Carlos Alvarez wrote:

> Reliability and load aren't really related.  You could buy something
> like a refurb HP server with SCSI drives and dual power for next to
> nothing and see excellent reliability.  We have dozens of DL360/380
> machines in production with excellent reliability.  My reliability items
> are:

I spec'd out a DL380 for a client a couple of years ago. He balked at the
price so I found a used SuperMicro on Ebay for US$150 including shipping.

He was skeptical until I pointed out the SuperMicro was less than the
sales tax on the DL380. I suggested if he was unsure he could buy 2.

He did. We put them in separate datacenters and now he has complete
redundancy. The SIP provider automagically provides the switchover.

There's a lot of 'outdated' hardware out there for very cheap dollars.

--
Thanks in advance,