[asterisk-users] Replacing PBX with Asterisk, need feedback on my new architecture.

Nunya Biznatch asterisk at ihearbanjos.com
Sun May 6 17:49:23 CDT 2012

Thanks for the info. It got me digging deeper. I definitely don't want
to screw this one up, but I've got to pinch pennies to get this done, so
don't want to buy anything that would just be nice to have. ...but if I
have to get it, that's what I'll do.

Have any of you seen this?
ftp://download.intel.com/design/intarch/PAPERS/318862.pdf

It's a whitepaper from Intel where they load tested Asterisk on various
Intel Processors. They were trying to show the benefit of compiling
Asterisk using their compiler vs. gcc. It's from January 2008. They used
Astertest as the test base. With a dual Xeon 5335 @ 2GHz (dual quad
cores), and using a gcc compiled Asterisk, they were able to process 673
concurrent calls with GSM to iLBC transcoding and 552 calls with GSM to
Speex transcoding.

Looking at http://cpubenchmark.net, I see a dual Xeon 5335 @ 2GHz has a
Passmark score of 5,095. A more modern single E5-2630 processor has more
than double the score at 10,401.

...and those results were with whatever version of Asterisk was out and
about in January 2008. Would it be 1.4? From what I read here
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning, Asterisk 1.6
is 3-4 times better in performance than 1.4, and 1.10 is 2-3 times
faster than 1.8.

Also, keeping in mind while yes I have 800 SIP phones, only 200 will be
active concurrently at peak times based on current call traffic data,
and I'm adding 50% to cover myself and looking to build to support 300
concurrent calls. Finally, throw in the fact the main Asterisk Server
will not be doing any transcoding. The only transcoding will be in the
PRI Gateway server, and with 3 PRI's, I only need the power to transcode
69 concurrent calls from G.711 to G.722.

The next concern is the raw number of actively registered phones. I
guess this is something I don't understand what the repercussions are,
and I know the unknown is always what bites you. What happens? I
wouldn't think that's a lot of open port traffic to worry about?

Thanks Again?