[asterisk-users] Getting Mac Address on connected IP phones

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Tue Mar 13 18:34:34 CDT 2012

On 3/13/12 5:53 PM, Danny Nicholas wrote:
> Ping the phones, then run arp.

ping + arp isn't going to work if they're on a different VLAN.
I believe this will work:

1)  Set up your TFTP server, but do not put any configuration files in
the /tftpboot directory (or whatever the directory is).
2)  Set the DHCP server on the phones' network to hand out the TFTP
server address.
3)  Reboot the phones
4)  Watch the TFTP server logs and you should see each phone request a
file based on its MAC.  With no downloaded config file, the phone should
revert to what it already has in nvram.
5)  Collect MAC addresses out of the server logs
6)  Profit?