[asterisk-users] Digium FXS specifications and limits Question

Barry Miller asterisk-users at notanet.net
Fri Mar 2 10:26:06 CST 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 05:35:34PM -0700, Nunya Biznatch wrote:
> Howdy All,
>
> I'm considering Asterisk / Digium as a replacement to my existing phone
> switch. I need to continue to be able to push analog lines between
> multiple buildings in a campus environment.
>
> The Digium Analog 410 Card manual states it's not recommended to go
> beyond 1500 feet distance for an FXS card, and no line should leave the
> building or be bundled. The 2400 Series Manual does not have this same
> notice. Should it?
>
> My potential application will be pushing all of 1500 feet and maybe a
> teeny bit more. Analog lines will be bundled into PE-89 type
> direct-burial rated cable in capacities ranging from 100-pair to
> 500-pair. All cable pairs are 24AWG. All cable is privately owned by the
> organization. All cable is professionally terminated on each end to
> grounded building entrance protection with lightning blocks / surge
> protection. This infrastructure has been in place and working on an
> existing "old school" digital switch with port cards that don't have
> lightning or surge suppression built in, just like the Digium cards.
>
> Has anyone run a similar configuration and can speak for or against such
> an idear?

If you must do this, Mike Sandman (and probably others) has a line of
loop extenders.  I've used his stuff before to keep old POTS stuff
running.

	http://www.sandman.com/longloop.html

These devices may also give you a little more lightning protection than
you already have, but I wouldn't count on it.

--
Barry