[asterisk-users] Asterisk 10/1.6.1 and Dahdi/Libpri compatilities in BRI /PtmP

Richard Mudgett rmudgett at digium.com
Thu Jun 21 11:05:27 CDT 2012

> My previous message was incomplete.
>

> On thing to note is I had to forbid hfcmulti in modprobe.d in the
> second box to comply with a warning from dahdi. Without that, I could
> see this line in the output of lsmod:
> mISDN-core  hfcmulti
>

> 1. What is the root cause that makes a board change its sync source ?
> How can I check this ?

I would think layer 1 going down.  Many European telcos for BRI PTMP lines
drop layer 2 and then layer 1 to conserve power.

Is the switching of clock sources causing a problem?

> 2.  How can I get rid of these alarms ?

See the chan_dahdi.conf.sample file about the following options.

You could use the layer1_presence option to make Asterisk ignore those
alarms.

You could use the layer2_persistence option to keep layer 2 up.  To use
this option however, requires using libpri SVN 1.4 branch code as current
released versions do not support the option.  Using the layer2_persistence
option restores behavior that was removed for better Q.921 conformance for
PTMP after libpri v1.4.10.2 and is why you are seeing a behavior difference
between versions.

> 3. Shall I report this ?

It is normal with BRI PTMP lines.  It is also the reason for the
layer1_presence and layer2_persistence options.

> 4. Waht would you suggest ?
>
> Regards
>

> 2012/6/21, Olivier <oza_4h07 at yahoo.fr>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After an upgrade, I discovered yesterday strange things I would
> > like
> > to share here.
> >
> > Basically, I'me comparing platforms:
> > The first one is a 2.6.26 (Debian Lenny) platform, with Asterisk
> > 1.6.1.18, Libpri 1.4.10.2, Dahdi revision 8853 (must be between 2.3
> > and 2.5, I think).
> > The second one is a 2.6.32 (Debian Squeeze) platform, with Asterisk
> > 10.5.1, Libpri 1.4.12, Dahdi 2.6.1.
> > Both are connected to telco BRI lines in TE/PtmP mode through a
> > Junghanns QuadBRI board (wcb4xxp driver).
> > Both handle incoming and outgoing calls correctly, as far as I can
> > tell.
> >
> > But on the second one, though working fine, Dahdi keeps showing
> > alarm
> > messages such as:
> > [71765.784120] wcb4xxp 0000:01:0e.0: new card sync source: port 1
> > [71767.484151] wcb4xxp 0000:01:0e.0: new card sync source: port 1
> > [71771.184119] wcb4xxp 0000:01:0e.0: new card sync source: port 2
> > [71794.184164] wcb4xxp 0000:01:0e.0: new card sync source: port 1
> >
> > and "pri show spans" mostly (but not always) report worrying
> > status:
> > PRI span 1/0: Down, Active
> > PRI span 2/0: In Alarm, Down, Active
> >
> > On the first box "pri show spans" constantly reports the line is
> > up.
> >
> > On thing to note is I had to forbid hfcmulti in modprobe.d in the
> > second box to comply with a warning from dahdi. Without that, I
> > could
> > see this line in the output of lsmod:
> > mISDN-core

Both mISDN and DAHDI have drivers for your BRI card.  Only one of them
should be loaded.  Since you are using DAHDI and not mISDN, you should
load the DAHDI version.

Richard