[asterisk-users] Proactive problem monitoring on SIP on Asterisk

Stefan at WPF stefan.at.wpf at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 20 13:04:47 CDT 2012

Hello,

1) I am wondering what is the best practice to monitor if there are or were
problems with SIP calls on my Asterisk box. E.g. how about a software that
extracts all calls from the /var/log/asterisk/full (I have permanently
enabled verbose 10 and sip debug) log and tells me on which of them were
problems? Checking the logs manually is very hard, but as SIP is a
standardized protocoll, there should be tools doing that for you? As an
example, a person calling me recently got a 488 Not acceptable error as
reply from my Asterisk box. Nothing came through to my SIP phone, so I
didn't know anything about the call or the problems (which were on his
phone btw). I would like to be informed about such cases, know that there
was a call to my Asterisk box that made problems.

2) How about monitoring speech quality? E.g. sometimes it seems like a
packet is missing (I then have a short pause during the call), how to
monitor such things and create statistics out of this data?

So basically I want to monitor my Asterisk installation proactively for
reliability/problems and (speech) quality.

Thanks for any hints!

Best regards
Stefan