[asterisk-users] Missing voicemail prompt beginning

Stefan at WPF stefan.at.wpf at googlemail.com
Sun Jun 17 13:33:08 CDT 2012

Thank you Warren,

I will temporarily skip this step, as I don't have the problem anymore,
though I don't know why (for that and learning purposes the logs maybe
would be still useful).
I found some different settings for Asterisk and Sipgate (actually I found
the settings for private users on the Sipgate website, before that I found
the settings for business customers and assumed there wouldn't be a
difference).
When I had the problem, my sip.conf looked like this:

[general]
> port=5060
> bindaddr=0.0.0.0
> context=other
> language=de
>
> register => <SIPID>:<SIP_PASS>@sipgate.de/<SIPID>
>

> [sipgate]
> type=peer
> context=from_external_voip_provider
> username=<SIPID>
> defaultuser=<SIPID>
> fromuser=<SIPID>
> secret=<SIP_PASS>
> host=sipgate.de
> fromdomain=sipgate.de
> qualify=yes
> insecure=invite
> nat=yes

Now my sip.conf looks like this (source:
http://www.sipgate.de/faq/index.php?do=displayArticle&article=540&id=257):
(I have commented the additions / changes)

> [general]
> port=5060
> bindaddr=0.0.0.0
> context=other
> language=de
>
> qualify=no       ; added
> disallow=all     ; added
> allow=alaw       ; added
> allow=ulaw       ; added
> allow=g729       ; added
> allow=gsm        ; added
> allow=slinear    ; added
> srvlookup=yes    ; added
>
> register => <SIPID>:<SIP_PASS>@sipgate.de/<SIPID>
>
> [sipgate]
> type=friend          ; changed from peer to friend
> context = from_external_voip_provider
> username=<SIPID>
> ;defaultuser=<SIPID> ; removed
> fromuser=<SIPID>
> secret=<SIP_PASS>
> host=sipgate.de
> fromdomain=sipgate.de
> qualify=yes
> insecure=invite
> nat=yes
> canreinvite=no           ;added
> dtmfmode=rfc2833     ;added

The dialplan in both cases was this:

> [from_external_voip_provider]
> exten => <SIPID>,1,Answer(1000)
> exten => <SIPID>,n,VoiceMail(<some_number>,u)
> exten => <SIPID>,n,Hangup()

(I left out the Dial command for testing purposes after I found the
voicemail prompt problems)

 If anyone has an idea why it now works without problems, please let me
know for learning purposes. I still have to read up on the options. When I
have more time I will probably also set the old settings again to learn how
I could have identified the problem.