[asterisk-users] Help choosing the right card

Vladimir Mikhelson vlad at mikhelson.com
Sat Jun 16 18:00:14 CDT 2012

On 6/16/2012 5:38 PM, Shaun Ruffell wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 04:37:06PM -0500, Vladimir Mikhelson wrote:
>> On top of that  FXO channels exhibit intermittent problems with incoming
>> caller ID, FXS -- with DTMF detection.  These two problems manifest
>> themselves with both Digium and generic cards.  It looks like it is just
>> a deficiency in the current DAHDI implementation.
> Why do you believe it is a deficiency in DAHDI? The only issue that
> I know of related to DTMF detection is DAHLIN-241 [1], which you
> and I are currently trying to definitely establish is related to the
> time it takes to page Asterisk pages back into memory, which isn't
> really a DAHDI issue.
>
> [1] https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/DAHLIN-241

Shaun, I respect your opinion, and the swap theory is one of the valid
theories.

But interestingly enough, yesterday morning I had zero (0) bytes in the
swap file and still experienced missing DTMF detection on an outgoing call.

> Also, the only recent CID issue I'm aware of which was related to
> DAHDI was introduced in 2.6.0 and fixed in 2.6.1 [2].  This issue
> was that the ring event was reported late to Asterisk, so Asterisk
> would bump the gains in the middle of the spill. If the line quality
> was marginal the callerid would be missed.
>
> [2] http://svnview.digium.com/svn/dahdi?view=revision&revision=10473
>
> Are there other issues with CID detection that you are currently
> having? Generally CID issues aren't necesarily DAHDI related since
> generation and detection is done in Asterisk and not DAHDI, like
> DTMF detection (DTMF generation can be done in DAHDI...).

I am not sure whether it is DAHDI or Asterisk specifically, well may be
one or both.

All I know is I opened support ticket with Digium, tried all their
recommendations, and I am still experiencing the same CID detection
intermittency.  Interestingly, in my case 2.6.0 was an improvement,
whereas 2.6.1 returned everything back to where it was before.

I still did not find time to file on JIRA, but I eventually will.

Here are the issues (not detailed, from memory):

 1. Incoming calls CID intermittency
 2. Lack of a dropped call detection where 45 seconds long voice mails
    with CO generated bipping are left and the line is captured for up
    to 3 minutes after a caller dropped a call when the IVR was active
 3. Intermittent outgoing DTMF drop
 4. CID flags are not being passed into dial plan for analysis, so we
    cannot distinguish between private caller, no CID name, etc.