[asterisk-users] Differences between PBX and SBC

Andreas Sikkema h323 at ramdyne.nl
Thu Jun 14 12:06:50 CDT 2012

> That's my question...the sbc provides security over trunking, right? The
> same can do Asterisk or a Proxy..isn't? Does an SBC can provide any kind of
> add-value to an Asterisk deployment?

A PBX provides functionality to users. An SBC *can* secure a PBX
against the outside world, but that is configuration dependent. The
more powerful the SBC, the more configuration it requires to make
things work, let alone secure whatever it is supposed to protect.

An SBC is in essence a B2BUA, looking quote a lot like a really simple
pass through Asterisk configuration.

--
Andreas