[asterisk-users] 911 multple-alert question

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Jun 12 18:50:15 CDT 2012

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Nunya Biznatch wrote:

> I also need location data. I know there are ways to do it, but I don't
> have the kung-fu for things like databases, and am wondering if there's
> something simple in Asterisk like a flat file used to correlate phone
> number and location.

1) The Asterisk database? You can access it with dialplan applications.

2) Set the location as a channel variable in sip.conf? (Keeps all of the
'phone specific' stuff in one place.

Just being a bit paranoid, but fiddling with 911 calls always makes me
nervous. I'd dial the 'real' 911 call over a copper pair first and then
after (or in parallel) do all your kewl stuff.

I'm sure there will be a lawyer somewhere out there just itching to sue
when the 'real' 911 call doesn't happen because of some minor FU on your
part.

What's your legal exposure if your location data is wrong? I think I'd
want a letter absolving me of liability signed by the CEO in my back
pocket.

--
Thanks in advance,