[asterisk-users] VOIP & PBX replacement suggestions?

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Wed Jun 6 22:47:24 CDT 2012

On 06/06/2012 12:40 PM, Daniel Seagraves wrote:
> The boss wants to move from landline service to VOIP service as a cost-cutting measure. We have one voice line and one fax line. The telco is billing over $100 a month for the two. We're using Hylafax for faxing and a PBX for the voice line.

Unless you're going to move to an internet fax service provider you'll
probably not want to attempt to switch your fax line to a VoIP line and
still attempt to fax over it.  And even then, depending on how much fax
traffic you have moving to an internet fax service provider may not save
you any money.

> my budget for this project is exactly $0. I can't afford to buy new devices.

Unless your boss wants you to do VoIP from a headset on the PC I think
you're chasing a lost cause.

And, for what it's worth, $100 per month for two analog PSTN lines is
rather typical.  Depending on how much voice traffic you have and how
much of it is local or inbound... switching to a VoIP service may not
actually be a cost-cutting measure.

Thanks,

Lee.