[asterisk-users] Fax over IP?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Fri Jun 1 14:19:15 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Tim,

> Thanks for your response. Here is my topology as listing down below;

> PSTN Line --> Cisco Voice GW --> IP Cloud --> Asterisk

> Will Asterisk able to receive the fax (as in topology above) using
> its' fax module? In sip.conf I enabled fax detection and T.38.
> Actually I don't want
> to use Hylafax + iaxmodem as per requirement.

If your Cisco voice gateway can deliver the calls using T.38, that should give you decent reliability. You'll want to us Asterisk 10 which has the best T.38 support at this point (compared to older releases). The receiving side of the equation then becomes whether to use Fax for Asterisk (commercial, 1 free channel, 2+ paid), or the included SpanDSP based fax module.

--Tim