[asterisk-users] Digium IP Phone D40 quality, very bad

Rusty Newton rnewton at digium.com
Tue Jul 31 09:49:52 CDT 2012

On 7/31/2012 7:22 AM, bilal ghayyad wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> Really it is miserable.
>
> I bring 8 Digium Phone D40 and I used them with a customer, the voice quality is bad internally (between the extension), there is no clearance at all ! We are hearing the voice like another person.
>
> The used codec is ulaw.
>
> The firmware version is: 1_1_0_0_48178
>
> Even at the web based configuration at the phone it self, I am not able to do reboot (there is no reboot button) and I can do this only from the Phone it self.
>
>  From the speaker, the voice is very bad and weak.
>
> I am really feel disappointed why I did not use Polycom.
>
> Can someone help me or advise me what to do in this?

Many members of this list will testify that audio quality issues can
happen on *any* SIP phone. Our support department regularly
troubleshoots audio quality issues with many makes and models of phone
(for those customers of our paid Asterisk Support). You can have a
variety of audio quality problems caused from various root issues such
as networking misconfiguration and even bad room acoustics or cheap
headsets plugged into the phone.

If only it were as simple as "buy this phone it's good" or "don't buy
this phone it's bad". Unfortunately as we all know, technology is often
more complex.

In regards to rebooting the phone it sounds like you found the method
within the phones physical interface. However, there's no "reboot"
button in the web GUI of the phone.  There are two additional ways of
doing it:

1) (I'm not using the DPMA), see -
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/Digium+Phones+when+used+without+the+DPMA
You'll send it a SIP NOTIFY telling it to reconfigure.
2) (I'm using the DPMA), see -
https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/DIGIUM/DPMA+and+the+Asterisk+CLI
You'll do digium_phones reconfigure phone <my phone> ...or...
digium_phones reconfigure all

Your best next step is to call Digium, the manufacturer of the phone;
They offer *free technical support* on the Digium phones and can best
help you troubleshoot the issue. For support call  +1 (256) 428-6000 ,
option 2 and then 2 again.

Thanks,

--
Rusty Newton
Digium, Inc | Open Source Community Support Manager