[asterisk-users] Multi-Tenant PBX with Asterisk

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Mon Jul 30 11:30:27 CDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 2:36 AM, Kannan <vasdeveloper at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Multi-tenant PBX: Configuring multiple PBXs within the same instance of
> Asterisk. I.e. partitioning a single instance of Asterisk into multiple
> PBXs by way of configurations, using unique landing context for each tenant.
> 3. Virtual PBX: Multiple virtual machines within the same hardware, each
> host an instance of Asterisk.

We use number two.  We dabbled with number three but didn't like the
results for a lot of different reasons.  As others have mentioned, there is
a certain level of danger when you mix companies so closely.  We have in
the past made a mistake and brought down the whole system, but it's been
many years since we've done that.  Part is improved skill and part is that
Asterisk has improved and no longer commits suicide for certain minor
errors.

To do this, you need to plan out a good naming convention for everything
that will be unique to customers accounts.  SIP accounts, macros, contexts,
etc etc.  We use the accountcode feature and prepend the accountcode
through the dial plan and accounts.

accountcode.301 would be a SIP account

accountcode#function would be a context name

We do deploy custom hardware for specific functions or customers who are
particularly large in some cases.  We just need a good reason to.  Like
they want to self-manage, or they make a lot of changes, need custom
integration with databases, etc.

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve