[asterisk-users] No audio playing back voicemail from odbc

Matthew Jordan mjordan at digium.com
Sat Jul 28 19:45:15 CDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

If you're getting a duration of 0, I have to wonder if your silencethreshold
is playing a factor here.  Asterisk may be treating the entire recording
as silence.  What happens if you set the maxsilence to some valid integer
value?  Does it end the voicemail messages while you're "leaving" it?  If so,
that might indicate that it isn't detecting any sound.

If you set minduration/maxsilence and Asterisk starts killing recordings
and not saving files, that will also tell you if Asterisk believes the
recordings are mostly silence.

> I don't, but this configuration worked before I upgraded from 1.6.x
> to 10.x.  I
> should have mentioned that this was part of an upgrade, but it was
> late, and I
> was tired.
>
> So, is there something I'm missing?

I'm not sure.  I'd be curious to see your voicemail.conf.

> > File storage is the only mechanism to have video voicemail (with
> > audio)
> > at this time.
>
> Is there any interest in fixing this situation?  It doesn't seem like
> it would
> be too difficult.  I wouldn't mind helping if there is an effort
> already
> underway.

There has been some interest expressed from users, but no development
plans have been put into place for this feature.

There are a couple of reasons for that: while it would be possible
to have multiple formats stored in ODBC/IMAP backends, that doesn't solve
all of the problems with associating an audio file with a video file.
For example, some soft phones allow you to start the video media stream
after the audio media stream has already begun.  This will work fine
during the video call; however, if the video/audio is stored as a voicemail
message, Asterisk has no way to associate the beginning of the video file
with some arbitrary point in the audio file.  Hence, when the video
message is played back, the video will be out of sync with the audio -
both are played back starting at the same time, but the soft phone didn't
start sending the video at the beginning of the audio.

The solution to this would be to store the audio/video as a single file
in a media container (such as Matroska).  Not only does this solve the
audio/video sync issue, but now you don't need to store more then a single
file in a storage backend.  Unfortunately, this is an extremely non-trivial
effort.

--
Matthew Jordan
Digium, Inc. | Software Developer