[asterisk-users] T.38 Gateway

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Jul 23 09:50:39 CDT 2012

On 07/23/2012 06:30 AM, Paul Goldbaum wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> we're trying to setup a fax gateway from PRI to SIP. Our test setup
> consists of two asterisk 10 machines connected over PRI and a third one
> which is acting as a fax endpoint over SIP.

This 'third' system is the one responsible for initiating the switchover
to T.38 mode for the call, since it is the last element in the path to
the eventual called FAX terminal.

> On the machine which is receiving over PRI, we see the following message:
>
> [Jul 23 12:54:23] DEBUG[18288] res_fax.c: detected v21 preamble on
> SIP/xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx-00000001, but DAHDI/i1/-2 does not support T.38 for
> T.38 gateway session

This is expected behavior. If you run a gateway on a SIP channel, it
will naturally assume that *that* channel is not capable of T.38 support
(thus the need for a gateway) and it will attempt to request T.38
support from the channel it is bridged to.

In your configuration, the Asterisk system acting as SIP FAX endpoint
should *itself* request a switch to T.38 on the SIP channel before it
ever emits any FAX tones at all.  The system in the middle will receive
this T.38 negotiation request, and the gateway code (since it has been
enabled) will realize that the DAHDI channel is not T.38 capable, and it
will step in to provide T.38 gateway services.

--
Kevin P. Fleming