[asterisk-users] PBX, IVR and Conferencing Platforms From the Same Installation of Asterisk

Leandro Dardini ldardini at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 06:58:04 CDT 2012

Answers in text.

2012/7/23 Kannan <vasdeveloper at gmail.com>

> Thanks Leandro for your reply. See my comments inline.
>

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Leandro Dardini <ldardini at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 15k users are quite a big number. To my clients with a large user base I
>> advice always to partition the load on multiple servers. This has a list of
>> advantages, like the ability to power cycle a node without impacting all
>> your users, easier debug and tests of problems and solutions, abiity to
>> scale up to higher number of peers without changing the overall
>> architecture. Obviously you need a software to manage the multi tenant PBX
>> with asterisk and a special setup to handle the high availability and load
>> balanced configuration.
>

> According to some articles in the Internet, 15000 users is a big number
> when Asterisk handles SIP registrations. That is why I planned to use
> OpenSIP for SIP registrations.
>
> In our architecture, two instances of OpenSIP and three instances of
> Asterisk will handle the load -- both signaling and media. hardware wise,
> we will be using 3 Nos. of DL 380 servers. Another one is used for
> redundancy.
>
> Yes, I was asking if multi tenancy is possible with Asterisk PBX?

Asterisk is open to every kind of configuration. It has no embedded multi
tenancy but a lots of configuration were developed with multi tenancy in
mind. I know very little about OpenSIP so I am not the right source of info
about it. I never find the need of using something different from asterisk
from 2004 when I start using it.

>> About the fax license, yes, Digium provides fax solutions at cheap
>> prices. However it depends by what you need. If you need T.38 support,
>> Digium fax for asterisk can be the answer, if instead you just need a
>> fax2mail and mail2fax solution, not involving T.38, I always suggest a
>> T1/E1/J1 ISDN network card, far more reliable than a software fax.
>>

> For Fax, we will be using Asterisk as a mediator between Fax terminals and
> SBC. That is Asterisk itself does not handle the RTP stream for Fax. It is
> just proxying the SIP signals for Fax. Do I need to but Fax licence?

As far I know it, you need a license for every active channel.

Leandro