[asterisk-users] Trixbox or FreePBX or Elastix or PBX In a Flash

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Jul 10 13:46:19 CDT 2012

On 07/10/2012 01:42 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:
> I'm currently trying to decide on which GUI-enabled version of Asterisk
> to use for one particular installation, where we will need good
> telecommuter support.  We've made it so easy for people to work remotely
> that the customer is downsizing their real estate and will have 90%
> remote workers with them rotating through the office as needed.  So most
> phones in the office will be shared, and I'm looking for a version of
> Asterisk that will easily allow people to log in and out of a specific
> desk.  What are your suggestions?  I have very little experience with
> GUI versions of Asterisk; we use bare Asterisk for nearly everything.

This can be done using Digium phones; they have built-in support for
selecting which 'user' they should be when they are reconfigured. It's
slightly more complicated than a simple login/logout because it requires
rebooting the phone, but it's there and it works. They even support the
case where a user has a phone at their house, but comes into the office
and 'steals' their extension away from the house phone; the house phone
will then go into an automatic reconfiguration state and wait for
someone tell it which extension it should 'be'... when the user returns
home, they can 'steal' the extension back from the office.

--
Kevin P. Fleming