[asterisk-users] Call recording and hosted PBX platform using Asterisk

James Sharp james at fivecats.org
Mon Jul 2 20:11:38 CDT 2012

On 7/2/2012 5:15 PM, Carlos Alvarez wrote:
> We are a hosted PBX service provider using Asterisk (primarily 1.6,
> moving to 1.8 soon).  In the past, when we've been asked to provide call
> recording, we deploy a custom server just for that customer.  I'd like
> to bring call recording to our standard hosted system so we can provide
> it at a lower cost for smaller customers.  Is anyone doing a
> hosted/multi-tenant system and call recording?  Where are you saving the
> recordings (local, NAS, etc)?  How do you manage access to the files?

I developed a large system where each of the Asterisk boxen were all
connected to a large NFS server backed with a big fiber channel array.
Each server mounted a directory based on its hostname, all the calls
were dumped to that directory every five minutes after being mixed.  The
central CDR database had a custom field with the hostname in it, so
every recording had a corresponding CDR entry and that could all be
accessed using a web interface.  It used a Flash-based media player to
play the recordings as needed, but my client wanted it eventually
changed out to something HTML5 friendly for use with Flash-less iDevices.