[asterisk-users] RFE idea for VM application

Phil Daws uxbod at splatnix.net
Tue Jan 24 10:01:36 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> On Tuesday 24 January 2012, Phil Daws wrote:
> > This is in version 1.8 and 10.0 from what I can see. The problem is
> > not
> > that the caller is unaware of the recipients mailbox being full, as
> > they
> > do hear the message, but it is the recipient whom may be completely
> > unaware. If a more verbose warning message was written out we could
> > at
> > least alert the user to the issue. They could then perform some
> > timely and
> > necessary mailbox clean up:)
>
> Ah, but what you have here is a classic "break glass to release
> hammer"
> situation.  The intended recipient doesn't know that their voicemail
> box is
> full; but, evidently from the fact that they are accruing voicemails
> at all,
> they must, for some unspecified reason, not be contactable by
> telephone!
>
> All you can do in that situation is mention in your "mailbox full"
> message an
> alternative means of contacting the intended recipient .....
>
> --
> AJS
>
> Answers come *after* questions.

In the original post I mentioned that we are using IMAP (Zimbra) as the back-end VM storage, and what is happening is that users listen to their messages (marked as read) but then hang on to them for later use; or tardy mailbox management ;) Asterisk does not care about that and just counts up how many it can find, which I am guessing is by inspecting the inserted header in the message.

Yes there is an element of user education that needs to take place but as always not everybody remembers and we would be prefer to be alerted to that fact instead of the recipient not get their messages.

One thing I have not checked though is what happens if one user forwards a VM, from their IMAP mailbox, to another user ? Does it count against the recipient message count tally ?
--
Thanks, Phil