[asterisk-users] allowguest = yes? no?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Tue Jan 24 08:34:14 CST 2012

Hello

	I don't understand how I should use the "allowguest" item: If set to
"yes", callers from the Net should authenticate, but then, how can I
allow strangers to call extensions in my system?

"allowguest

If set to no, this disallows guest SIP connections. The default is to
allow guest connections. SIP normally requires authentication, but you
can accept calls from users who do not support authentication (i.e.,
do not have a secret field defined).Certain SIP appliances (such as
the Cisco Call Manager v4.1) do not support authentication, so they
will not be able to connect if you set allowguest=no:
allowguest=no|yes"

(from "Asterisk – The future of Telephony")

Thank you.