[asterisk-users] Best non polycom SIP conference room phone

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Sun Jan 8 15:05:54 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Luke Hamburg <luke at solvent-llc.com> wrote:

> Carlos-
> Sorry if this is too much of a digression but this piqued my interest as
> I've been pretty happy with Polycom in my limited experience (haven't used
> the SPAs much, just Yealink & Polycom, and an occasional Snom here and
> there).   If the config files were not the issue for you, then what _were_
> the problems?

The first thing that comes to mind is the long boot time for the Polycoms,
which I know has improved in recent models but is still longer than the
SPA.  If we're troubleshooting or experimenting with changes this is
annoying.  The Polycoms pull down a lot of data when they boot, and we've
not figure out a way to prevent that.  We have a lot of customers on WiMAX
connections where the voice runs on a separate VLAN for quality guarantee,
but it has very limited bandwidth because only voice should be on it.  If a
customer with Polycoms and this connection reboots a phone, it floods the
voice VLAN.  We've all found that we prefer to use the SPA's web UI a lot
more than the Polycom.  And the SPA has a very nice and easy to use
encrypted configuration system that is preferable for a hosted service
provider like us where the configs travel the wild internet.

How do you like the Yealink phones?  Is the cheap price worth it?  We
looked at them a long time ago but there were some issues that prevented us
using them (centered around secure config over the internet).

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve