[asterisk-users] Connecting to an Old Phone System

A J Stiles asterisk_list at earthshod.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 07:46:30 CST 2012

On Friday 06 January 2012, Dan Journo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is not strictly an asterisk questions, but... ive got a client with an
> old digital pbx phone systems connected to an isdn30e line.
>
> I've been shown a sip gateway that can connect to asterisk on one side, and
> also has an ISDN30e socket that the old phone system can connect to. But
> it's a bit pricey.
>
> Is there such a thing as an ISDN30e PCI card which can be used with a copy
> of Asterisk, that can act like a voip gateway between the old phone
> system, and our asterisk box? Or can anyone recommend a gateway that isn't
> too expensive?
> They use 8 channels of the isdn30e

Is there any reason why you can't just install a card with two PRI ports
(e.g. TE210P, or an inexpensive clone)  in your Asterisk box; one configured as
NET for the old phone system to plug into, and the other configured as CPE to
plug into the real ISDN line?

You should be able to route calls from anywhere  (LAN, ISDN30, PABX, internet)
to anywhere else, with the right dialplan.

--
AJS

Answers come *after* questions.