[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Steve Totaro stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com
Wed Feb 29 09:58:31 CST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Steve Totaro
> <stotaro at asteriskhelpdesk.com> wrote:
> > Agreed with one exception, the endpoint behind the NAT DOES need to be
> setup
> > correctly to keep the router from seeing inbound traffic to the device as
> > unsolicited and drop it.  That is a function of the router but keep
> alives
> > from Qualify on the Asterisk side, and setting the device to register
> every
> > few minutes will keep that mapping open and alive, letting traffic pass
> as
> > solicited.
>
> We use qualify=yes on Asterisk and a few months ago turned OFF the
> keep-alive feature on all SIP clients on our entire system.  This is
> working fine, and we did it because of a strange bug/behavior with
> certain versions of Cisco SPA series firmware.
>

> --
> Carlos Alvarez
> TelEvolve
> 602-889-3003

So you turned it off on the phones but use it on the Asterisk side?

Do you set a value or just use qualify=yes?

I had many problems with qualify over VSAT as ping times and jitter are
crazy.  700ms ping times were considered "Good" from the IZ in Iraq to
Equinix data center in VA, it took some tweaking to find the right value so
a phone that was "Reachable" was not labeled "Unreachable", I did want
phones that were truly unreachable to be marked as such, more to spot
patterns and act on them or with the vendor.

Did you submit a bug report?  If it is easy to reproduce and you feel like
helping out, report it.  I do not report issues if there is a simple way to
do the same thing, but I know I should.

What does the debug or strange behavior look like?  Probably a variance in
the RFC implementation.

Thanks,
Steve T