[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Carlos Alvarez carlos at televolve.com
Tue Feb 28 19:28:59 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
> Please expand as to how you set-up a SIP ATA behind a common home
> router set-up, without port redirection and/or use of a SIP proxy
> and/or STUN server? Unless the ATA has some sort of magic (e.g. VPN
> support) it _cannot_ be done.

Go buy a WRT-54G or nearly any consumer-class router and just plug in
a SIP device.  Done.  It works.  We *never* work on customer routers
and very rarely have to tell them to reconfigure their router at all.
My own home configuration is an Airport Extreme with zero
configuration.  So either these are very old routers you're having a
problem with, or buggy SIP devices, or something else.

> You should care.

Hmm, let me check the reading...

http://i1-win.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/Care-Meter_1.png

> don't drive a Yugo but if I did I could easily be offended by the
> pejorative use of the brand.

It's a piece of junk and everyone knows it, including the owners, so who cares?

--
Carlos Alvarez
TelEvolve