[asterisk-users] Same provider - IAX sounds bad, SIP sounds great

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Tue Feb 28 19:14:01 CST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Carlos Alvarez <carlos at televolve.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 5:35 PM, Alejandro Imass <ait at p2ee.org> wrote:
>> works. This cannot be done with SIP and off the shelf cheap ATAs,
>> period.
>
> We do it, so "cannot" seems to be a strong word.  It's not perfect,

Please expand as to how you set-up a SIP ATA behind a common home
router set-up, without port redirection and/or use of a SIP proxy
and/or STUN server? Unless the ATA has some sort of magic (e.g. VPN
support) it _cannot_ be done.

> but our IAX problems outnumbered the SIP problems by at least double.
> Your mileage clearly varies.

[...]

> Unfortunately, top-posting has become normal on this list.  I'm just
> fitting into how others were quoting the conversation.  If you find my

Top posting seems to be more popular due to use broken smart phone
MUAs that can't reply in-line. But if you have the means it should be
avoided for future reference and direct people to read the archives
and find useful information.

> remarks derogatory, I don't particularly care.

You should care. Words like "ghetto", "your users", and using name
brands like Yugo in a pejorative way are all derogatory and may direct
the discussions on a personal level which should always be avoided. I
don't drive a Yugo but if I did I could easily be offended by the
pejorative use of the brand.

We are all here to share our knowledge and our valuable time so to
make it worthwhile we should all care about conserving netiquette.