[asterisk-users] Call queuing behavior

Phil Frost phil at macprofessionals.com
Fri Feb 10 15:08:28 CST 2012

On Feb 10, 2012, at 14:37 , Phil Frost wrote:
> I'm trying to implement a very simple call queue for a small, low volume helpdesk. We have 2-5 agents, and rarely does the queue get more than 1 or 2 callers deep. I'm using the ringall strategy and I want calls answered in FIFO order.
>
> Say caller A calls the queue, and there is one member logged in. Asterisk rings the member.
>
> Now, caller B calls. Asterisk rings the member. Now the member's handset is showing two incoming calls.
>
> This particular member is a bit lazy or busy, so he waits 30 seconds, and the first call times out. Asterisk says, "Nobody picked up in 30000 ms", the caller hears the periodic announcement, and Asterisk stops ringing the member.
>
> Now, the member is unbusy, so he answers a call. But, he's connected to caller B, even though caller A called first. That's not what I'd expect - I want callers to be answered in FIFO order.
>
> [...]

I think I've found a solution. This forum thread describes a similar situation:

http://forums.asterisk.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79450

I set autofill=no in queues.conf. This seems to make more sense when strategy=ringall. Now any member is only ever presented with one caller, and it's always the next caller in the queue. If the timeout expires, they are presented with the same caller again. For a larger call center, this would be an unacceptable bottleneck, but for my situation it's ideal.