[asterisk-users] Asterisk V/s FreeSwitch

Patrick Lists asterisk-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Feb 8 09:17:17 CST 2012

On 08-02-12 14:54, Jeff Brower wrote:
> Brynjolfur-
>
>> According to this article here:
>>
>> http://anders.com/cms/266
>>
>> the difference mainly lies in how FreeSwitchs handles open
>> channels in comparison with Asterisk. FS uses one thread
>> per channel while * keeps jumping between threads. At least
>> that's how I understand it.
>
> If the difference really is 10:1, then I doubt that threads vs. linked lists completely explains it.

The difference in SIP stack might also explain the difference.
FreeSWITCH uses Nokia's Sofia-SIP stack which is known to perform quite
well. But it seems like comparing apples with oranges as FreeSWITCH is
primarily a switch while Asterisk is primarily a PBX. And if you are
looking at doing 1000 concurrent calls, 50 calls per second and scale
that multiple times then you probably should be looking at some
clustered Kamailio or Opensips setup.

Regards,
Patrick