[asterisk-users] Asterisk V/s FreeSwitch

Bryant Zimmerman BryantZ at zktech.com
Wed Feb 8 07:59:30 CST 2012

 From: "Jeff Brower" <jbrower at signalogic.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 8:49 AM
To: "Brynjolfur Thorvardsson" <binni at itanet.nu>
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Asterisk V/s FreeSwitch

Brynjolfur-

> According to this article here:
>
> http://anders.com/cms/266
>
> the difference mainly lies in how FreeSwitchs handles open
> channels in comparison with Asterisk. FS uses one thread
> per channel while * keeps jumping between threads. At least
> that's how I understand it.

If the difference really is 10:1, then I doubt that threads vs. linked lists completely explains it.

But the difference may not be that much, as some other posts indicate. I would suggest to Virendra to make sure he's
comparing identical configurations: machine type/speed/mem, same type of calls, same amount of call RTP handling
(G711, no echo can, no recording, no DTMF, etc), latest versions of both softwares, and so on. That would be a good
test.

Since the metric in this case is concurrent calls, not CPS, it could be that for some reason, Asterisk's RTP coding
isn't as efficient.

-Jeff

I too am asking which is a better long term bet as my core Asterisk or Freeswitch.. Most of the info offered is from 2008.. The question I am asking is which is better today. In 2008 I was using 1.4 and it was bleeding edge. 1.8 and 10 have gotten a lot more efficent and.  i've found I can speed up asterisk if I reduce my call code complexity, If I don't handle media.  So my realy question is apples to apples how do the two compair Today?  What features do I have to give up with free switch if I want 300 calls per second and 3000 concurrent calls? Then If I strip back asterisk to that feature set how would it stack up?

Bryant